Monday, August 18, 2008

my sporting confession

I must confess to this addiction I've enjoyed since 1976--watching the first summer games I can remember. I am an avowed olympoholic.

Track, swimming, gymnastics, basketball--you name it, I can't get enough of it.

Every four years, the symptoms of olympoholism are easily diagnosed. 1. Changing sleep patterns so as to catch as much live or tape delayed action as possible. 2. "Forgetfulness" of other activities so as to catch more of the games. 3. Communicating more by email than by phone so as to enjoy more sports with less background "noise".

This year has been particularly attractive for olympoholics. We have gasped in awe at Michael Phelpps's accomplishments. We've reveled in the Redeem Team's unblemished success. When American gymnasts won both gold and silver in the women's all-around, we pumped our fist that much more passionately in the air.

W have every reason to be proud Americans, to wrap ourselves in the red, white, and blue. Who can forget Bob Costas's interview with Kobe Bryant? Who will forget his in depth feature with Phelps, his coach, and his mother. By the way, join me in buying the whole story from link www.nbcolympics.com and replaying it dozens of times.

We will have to see how track and field shape out. Let's hope it matches the thrill of American swimming. Well, I'll see you later. It's time for another olympic highlight and record!

No comments: